Monday, September 15, 2008

Sacricial Giving - Africa Remembered

On the continent it is known as the “warm heart of Africa.” Internationally, it is known as the third poorest nation on earth. In the Episcopal Diocese of Fort Worth, it is known as a companion diocese. To me, it is my family – brothers and sisters - dearly loved, in need of my help.

Malawi, a country poor by material standards, is rich in heart. As a people of generosity, they bless my day and grace my life. Last year this tiny country suffered a famine of biblical proportions. It is estimated that between 4 and 5 million people in Malawi (population 11 million) were in danger of starvation. Yet not much was seen in the press regarding this famine. Thanks to international relief efforts and existing infrastructure, emergency aid was able to save many lives, but so much more could have been done. And Malawi is not alone in its need. This scenario is played out over and over in third world countries. One can’t help but wonder how such a thing could happen in this day and time. Everyday in America we discard countless amounts of food. We spend thousands on Halloween candy, millions on football tickets, and billions on Christmas presents while people around the world are dying of hunger? How can this be?

When I reflect on the monumental task of feeding the hungry in Malawi and ministering to other third world countries, I become over-whelmed. After all, what can one grandmother do? Yet, that is the answer – one person, one grandmother - the power of one, the hope of the world. America is a land of abundance, so materially wealthy that most households have a car for every driver. Why then are we not able to transport food and support to these third world countries in their time of need? In a land where there are telephones in every home, cell phones in every hand, how can it be that we did not hear their cries for help? In a country where every household has a TV, why do we not see their pain and suffering? It is a mystery.

I think the answer lies in sacrificial giving. As the wealthiest nation on earth, we are often the most generous. As a people and as individuals, we have poured out upon the victims of 9/11, the tsunami, Katrina, Ike. But we have poured out from our abundance not our poverty. We have supported numerous causes, individually as well as corporately, locally as well as inter-nationally. But to whom much has been given, much is expected. We need to give more – more as individuals, families, grandmothers, more to make the world a better place for the least of these. We need to teach our children and grandchildren to give. We need to learn to give sacrificially.

That's where grandmothers come in. My goal is to learn how to give sacrificially as I address this need in Malawi and in other parts of Africa. It is not part of my make up, but I can make it so. My hope is that as a grandmother I will exercise the power of one to exhort my family and friends. I am not a well- known voice. I have no platform, no forum or support group. I am only a lone voice crying out to those who have ears to hear, a voice that has the potential to exhort others to act in the power of one. I pray that from my abundance, I will open my heart and give more. But more than that, I pray that I will begin to give at some cost to myself. It is estimated that $12 will feed a family in Malawi for two weeks. Think what a gift of $120 would do. Perhaps I can give up my weekly latte or cancel a standing lunch date. Maybe canceling the newspaper and sending that money to Africa would help.

There are more nations in Africa than one can count on one hand that exist in extreme poverty. Their ears need to hear our compassion, their eyes need to see our love. Their hearts need to know we care. But even more than that. We need to know we care. Only if we give at some cost to ourselves will we truly experience a generous heart. Can we not do for the least of these? I think not only we can, but we can do so exceedingly abundantly.

My prayer is that this year, as individuals, wives, mothers and grandmothers, we will give generously, sacrificially as a thank offering for our own blessings. May we give generously and then go a step beyond. May we as grandmothers go the extra mile and give sacrificially to those whom God has placed in our path. May we model and teach our grandchildren to do the same. This year I am exploring new ways that I might give to Malawi and am encouraging my family to do the same. What better way to demonstrate love than to offer hope to a world in crisis.

No comments: